Declaration of the Town Supervisor
Declaring an Extension to the Local State of Emergency in the Town of Westerlo, Albany County, State of New York
WHEREAS, on March 16, 2020, I issued a Proclamation of a local state of emergency for the Town of Westerlo in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, which was and continues to be a pandemic public health emergency of international, state, and local concern threatening the health and welfare of the residents of the Town of Westerlo;
WHEREAS, under the March 16, 2020 declaration of a local state of emergency, I issued the following emergency orders protect life and health and to bring the emergency situation under control:
- In cooperation with the Westerlo Library Director, I am directing the Westerlo Library be closed. I further direct the Westerlo Town Hall be closed to the public with exception of the March 17th regularly scheduled Town Board meeting. Additionally, all planning board meetings, zoning board meetings, and all committee meetings are cancelled.
- The Town Highway Department employees will no longer report for work unless in the event their essential services are required.
Additionally, the Town Transfer Station will ONLY be open on Saturday 8:00 am — 3:45 pm, Sunday 8:00 am — 11:45 am.
WHEREAS, the findings and conditions that led to the issuance of such Proclamation have continued and worsened.
NOW, THEREFORE, l, William F. Bichteman Jr., Supervisor of the Town of Westerlo, by virtue of the authority vested in me under S 24 of the New York State Executive Law, do hereby proclaim and declare a continued local state of emergency for the Town of Westerlo and order as follows:
- The state of local emergency due to COVID-19 as set forth above shall be extended and continue to be in effect, and shall terminate on June 16, 2020, unless rescinded on an earlier date by me; and
- All of the orders and directives set forth in my initial Proclamation, effective March 17, 2020, are hereby renewed and re-issued as if fully incorporated herein.
I FURTHER ORDER THE FOLLOWING:
(1) The Executive Order cancelling Town Board meetings, planning board meetings, zoning board meetings and committee meetings is hereby modified to allow virtual meetings in accordance with the Governors Executive order 202.1 modifying the Open Meetings Law. Town Board meetings, planning board meetings, zoning board meetings and comprehensive plan committee meetings conducted on the following:
- The meeting is absolutely and immediately necessary to the function of Town of Westerlo government.
- The meeting agenda sets forth the imperative.
- Board meetings be hosted from the Town Hall in a designated space, utilizing the Town’s platform (zoom) and equipment.
- Committee meetings may be held remotely and will employ the Town’s designated platform (zoom).
- Social distancing, face coverings and body temperature screenings apply to Town Hall meetings.
- Proposed meeting schedules require legal notices as specified in the Governors Executive Order and approval of the Town Supervisor.
(2) The Executive Order modifying the transfer station hours of operation is rescinded. The Transfer Station will resume their regular hours.
Failure to obey this order is a criminal offense.
Failure to obey this order is a criminal offense punishable under New York State Executive Law S 24. In additional to all other criminal or civil sanction allowed under the law, any person who violates any provision of this Proclamation or any Emergency promulgated thereunder, including provisions carried over from my initial Proclamation, or who violates any currently effective provision of any executive order or proclamation issued by the Governor of the State of New York related to COVID-19, shall be guilty, upon conviction, of an offense punishable by a fine not less than $250 nor more than $1 ,OOO or by imprisionment for a period not exceeding 15 days, or both such fine and imprisonment.
Signed and ORDERED: this 15th of May 2020 in Town of Westerlo, N.Y.
William F. Bichteman Jr.